Jun

Source link [Alternate]

Full list. 186 DVD threshold, 232/158 BD.

2017 05/29 – 06/04 Anime DVD List

Anime Rank All Rank Last Rank Week Sales Total Sales #Wks Title
1 8 4 4,019 15,429 2 THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Gekijou v1
2 12 2 3,086 21,369 2 Yuuri!!! on Ice v6
3 15 3 1,972 13,685 2 Granblue Fantasy The Animation v2
4 16 1,934 1,934 1 Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai v6
6 19 13 1,327 10,792 3 Koe no Katachi
8 28 7 951 5,974 2 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Legend Star v6
11 44 18 584 1,967 2 Bungou Stray Dogs Season 2 v6 (v12)
13 58 455 95,591 151 Tonari no Totoro (2014 re-release)
14 61 53 429 20,469 6 Granblue Fantasy The Animation v1
25 234 234 1 Pop In Q
26 15 232 1,898 2 High School Fleet OVA
27 216 20,876 14 Yuuri!!! on Ice v2
28 210 23,544 17 Yuuri!!! on Ice v1
29 209 438 2 Crayon Shin-chan Gaiden Season 1: Alien vs. Shinnosuke
30 19 186 756 2 Kidou Senshi Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans Season 2 v7

Other releases (concerts etc)
11 3,395 3,395 1 Walkure Live 2017: Walkure ga Tomaranai at Yokohama Arena

17 36 45 817 42,308 6 Yuuri!!! on Ice v5
18 38 28 795 2,397 2 One Room
19 40 778 778 1 Keijo!!!!!!!! v6
20 42 736 736 1 Flip Flappers v6
44 7 677 8,259 2 Strike The Blood II OVA v4
49 23 626 3,328 2 Lupin the IIIrd: Chikemuri no Ishikawa Goemon LE
50 33 602 2,009 2 Bungou Stray Dogs Season 2 v6 (v12)
51 11 573 6,111 2 Youjo Senki v2
74 368 368 1 Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo
77 48 342 12,188 4 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Legend Star v5
86 274 274 1 Akiba's Trip: The Animation v2
91 25 252 2,346 2 Gintama. v2
186 186 1 Re-Kan! BD Box
158 158 1 Nyanko Days RE

Other releases (concerts etc)
3 11,969 11,969 1 Walkure Live 2017: Walkure ga Tomaranai at Yokohama Arena

Stronger than expected wk2 numbers across the board this week. This probably means next week will be smaller, but you never know.

Spring update:
Granblue v1 adds 469/429, total 51,875.
v2 adds 2615/1972, total 36,228.

Deremas Gekijou v1 adds 4743/4019, total 41,970. Okay much bigger wk2 than I expected. This has already topped the event ticket volume for the actual Deremas TV series, and should even pass v1 of Deremas. And that’s including the G4U bundle. Kinda makes you wonder if the G4U bundles actually *hurt* Deremas’ (and I guess by extension 2011 Animas’) sales total, since they were done with the different Media Create game-tracking methods vs Oricon DVD/BD methods.

Bandori v1 adds 1562, total 7,358. BD-only release. Solid enough wk2.

Winter update:
Nyanko Days sells 158. One-shot, so also series average. However, Oricon only tracks the RE version, which was only available at a few shops – I had to struggle to find it originally, but did find it at CDJapan. The LE was exclusive to the publisher’s shop, and didn’t get tracked. Not that I expect many were sold there either, but but it does mean this number is pretty useless. So I won’t be tracking it in my normal lists.

Kuzu no Honkai v3 sells 482 BDs, DVDs do not rank.

Akiba’s Trip v2, final volume, sells 274. This is the second of two BD boxes. There are DVD singles coming out until September but it would be pretty shocking if any of them ever ranked. Series average: 269.

Konosuba s2 v3 adds 1794/260, total 8,701. Keeping up those big wk2s. 10.7k average at the moment, but it seems unlikely it can hold onto 10k with 2 vols left. Still, going to be closer than it seemed after v2wk1.

Youjo Senki v2 adds 573, total 6,906.

Gintama. v2 adds 252/307, total 4,690.

Gabdro v3 adds 383 BDs, total 3,490. Series average: 3,676.

One Room adds 795, total 2,397. One-shot BD-only release, so Series average: 2,397.

Super Lovers s2 v3 adds 240 DVDs, total 1,390.

Chiruran adds 356, total 688. DVD-only release, and a one-shot, so Series average: 688. As low as that is, it’s interesting to see a disc sell more in wk2 than wk1.

Past seasons:
Keijo v6, final volume, sells 778 BDs, DVDs do not rank. Series average: 883.

Flip Flappers v6, final volume, sells 736 BDs, DVDs do not rank. Series average: 787. This is the world we live in.

YOI v1 adds 451/210, total 76,472 in wk17 DVD/wk23 BD.
v2 adds 454/216, total 69,094 in wk14 DVD/wk19 BD.
v3 adds 526/244, total 62,979 in wk15.
v4 adds 558/264, total 60,605 in wk10.
v5 adds 817/380, total 59,327 in wk6.
v6, final volume, adds 8337/3086, total 74,982 in wk2. Nearly the biggest wk2 of the series, just a couple hundred behind v1. Should definitely pass v1’s total next week.
And Osomatsu-san has been topped, which was expected after last week though maybe not quite this quickly. Series average: 67,243.
Right now it needs just 738 more discs to pass Love Live S2 and take #4, and 10,296 to pass Destiny. v6 alone should could add 3k next week, plus whatever v1-5 manage to get into the rankings.

Utapri s4 v5 adds 342 BDs, total 17,156.
v6, final volume, adds 1928/951, total 20,057. Series average: 28,153.

Jojo pt4 v12 adds 442 BDs, total 6,555.

G Tekketsu s2 v6 adds 1120 BDs, total 5,209.
v7 adds 1162/186, total 5,674.

Brave Witches v4 adds 1013, total 5,142.

Stray Dogs s2 v6, final volume, adds 602/584, total 3,976. Series average: 4,927

OVAs, Movies, Boxsets etc:
Zaregoto v6 sells 10659/1934, total 12,593.

Pop In Q sells 2707/234, total 2,941.

Re-Kan! BD Box sells 186.

Haifuri OVA adds 1068/232, total 12,537.

Strike the Blood II OVA v4 adds 677 BDs, total 9,358. Series average: 9,360.

Mahouka BD Box adds 515, total 5,252.

Upcoming Releases for 2017 06/05 – 06/11
2017/06/07 Naruto Shippuuden: Naruto to Sasuke no Shou v3
2017/06/07 ONE PIECE 18th Season Zou-hen v6
2017/06/07 Seiren v3
2017/06/07 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Futatabi-hen

62 Responses to “2017 05/29 – 06/04 Weekly Sales List”

1. Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

OMG I CANT BREATH!!! WHY AM I SO HAPPY?? DAMN THAT AVG IS MELTING ME

2. Avatar phoenixalia says:

This cannot be said enough times : Yuri on Ice is the gift that keeps on giving. They’ve announced another stage event with the seiyuu and Kubo-sensei plus Yuri on Museum…we’re so blessed.

3. Avatar Anon says:

Hard to tell how much the G4U bundles hurt iM@S’ sales as a whole (if they actually did) but CG Theaters got those immense numbers not only for the 5th SSA ticket (the STARLIGHT M@STERs CD sales are fuckhuge too) but it also has another lottery where 20 (I think it was 20?) people get a special seat for the concert. It’s a bloodbath.

4. Avatar Momo says:

Anybody knows how many discs did Walkure’s concert (Macross Delta) sold in its first week? Should be multiples of its anime DVD/BD average.

• Avatar hpulley says:

15,364 total BD and DVD

I wish they’d done more with their outfits. Great music but a pretty bland concert production IMO. I didn’t buy it and wasn’t there but saw the official PV.

It’s in the charts above. Or are you asking about something else?

5. Avatar Davv says:

Keijo was very popular on Crunchyroll, and it gets you wondering if that contrast with its unfortunate Oricon sales figures comes from cultural differences or the fact that Japanese disc sales mainly derive from viewers who picked a show as their no. 1 of the season, if not the year, when it might have been no. 2-5 for a much larger number of viewers.

“Would YOI’s series average rank change if only the volumes without bonuses from each series were compared?”

Depends which bonuses you include or exclude. Does v6 count, or are we just excluding event ticket volumes? Though I guess either way it would be #3, since v3-5 average >60k and that’s ahead of the 54k of Osomatsu-san or LLS2 minus their ticket discs.

• Avatar Davv says:

Thanks, and yes, I was including any bonus content that appreciably boosted sales. So Destiny would also drop in the rankings without bonuses? If so, massive bonus boosts aren’t as new as I thought.

Oh right, forgot about Destiny. Uh, that one I’d have to go back and check. I know the final volume sold a crazy 90k or so due to a bonus episode of some sort. But I’m not sure what the other volumes included.

6. Avatar runepikabeeeam says:

Is that Walkure number good or not? Despite the weak use of songs in the second cour I still like them as a group.

Also, kudos to YOI. I quited like the main couple.

Seems good I guess? I’m not sure what to use as a basis for comparison though.

• Avatar hpulley says:

Probably don’t want to compare to LoveLive or Idolmaster concerts but perhaps Symphogear Live would be a valid comparison.

• Avatar hpulley says:

Though on second thought Nana Mizuki’s star power might make that unfair as well.

Any idea what Frontier concerts did? (I’m guessing far, far more.)

• Avatar nya says:

Frontier never reached delta sales numbers

In live events? It was much much much much larger as a TV series (46,297 avg plus 16,230 boxset), but I guess Walkure at least capitalized on the music side of things better?

• Avatar xoxo says:

Was the idol culture that big in 2008? If you compare now, it hot right now and Delta is capitalizing on it. The singers are part of an (idol) singing group, and Delta’s music is following the pop idol trend. Also judging by how well the music is made (for people to buy the Live discs in such numbers), I’m not too surprised on the music side.

7. Avatar Hpilbog says:

What is the reason you don’t put Koe no Katachi in the movies section?

Unless a film is connected to an existing TV series, I only tend to list their first weeks. I don’t track films with no connection to larger series in my spreadsheet, so I wouldn’t always have the cumulative total handy anyway.

• Avatar alex_myth says:

Then can you please include the new Lupin OVA/Movie? It’s connected to a big franchise after all, and you did skip it last time. Sorry if I sound rude, I just want to see the cumulative number. -_-

Well, I should have said “connected to a late night franchise”. Lupin is a long-running show with tons of series and I have only tracked the most recent ones, so it kind of falls through the cracks and I don’t track the movies for the same reason I don’t track, say, Conan or Doraemon movies..

There’s not much to say about this latest one though. If you just add up its appearances last week (4231) and this week (557), it’s sold 4,788 so far. In the full list later in the week it’ll add some more BDs presumably.

• Avatar alex_myth says:

Thank you for the information! Not a bad result, almost on the level of the Fujiko series and the Jigen movie, and far better than 2015 series. Nice to see consistency on Koike projects.

8. Avatar Ayumi says:

I’m calling it. In a few more months, YOI will be #3, behind Bakemonogatari and Modaka. So amazing. Two of my favorite shows ever on the Top 3. (I wish I can get into Bakemonogatari, too much talking to me.)

9. Avatar MK says:

Amazing for YOI – lock on #4th best since 2000 and could rise to 3rd. So well deserved on the part of MAPPA for creating such a brilliant and unique show. It will surely trigger imitators though I think the show’s winning formula will be hard to replicate.

• Avatar Davv says:

>It will surely trigger imitators

I’ve been wondering about that. I’ve been told that successful sales of female-oriented (especially fujoshi-oriented) anime don’t influence the industry compared to equally successful shows oriented toward a male or mixed audience – case in point, Free! hasn’t had any imitators, even though its average is right below Lucky Star and Love Live season one on Something’s list. I hope people who know more than I do will weigh in.

• Avatar NukaCola says:

What is the definition of imitator here, is every boys sports club series an imitator of each other? Is DIVE!! a Free! imitator an imitator of any other boys sports show? Was YOI an imitator of Battery which was an imitator of Free! which was an imitator of Kurobas an imitator Ginga E Kickoff an imitator of Oofuri an imitator of Slam Dunk? I also dont understand what makes one boys sports series female oriented and another not female oriented. Anyway to me it just seems people say female oriented but make no definition of what that means, like litrally every show with a wealth of djs by females could be called female orietned from hxh to jjba to free to berserk to cheer boys and haruhi to index.

For original sports shows, male/female oriented is a bit easier to define. It’s not exactly a secret that Free and YOI fanbases, anywhere you look, are dominated by women. The merchandise focuses on attractive boys, the shipping is almost exclusively BL, the draw to live events is the hot male seiyuu, and so on. It’s also telling how outright hostile some male fans get about those shows’ popularity – they know those shows are a welcoming fandom space for women, and they want to attack that.

For manga adaptations, it’s more complicated. If a manga runs in Shounen Jump, it’s reasonable to expect a majority male readership. But during the transition to late night anime, you’re naturally going to pull in a smaller audience, and it isn’t necessarily going to be exactly proportional to your original audience in makeup. (Even in print however, we’ve seen reports that some shounen titles have majority female readership, such as One Piece (and Kurobas was at least half, and that was some years ago). I don’t have the links handy unfortunately.)

But “targeted” doesn’t mean “exclusive”. Shows that can swing it will go for as broad an audience as they can, of course. And anyone is allowed to like any show. Still, it’s harder to make shows that make hardcore fans out of very different audiences. And you want those hardcore fans because they’ll keep the fandom alive for years and spend tons of money.

Hell, “targeted” doesn’t always necessarily mean “intended”! Things can change, and the audience that you think you’re going to get can differ greatly from the audience you do get. Smart companies will capitalize on that, though.

As important as single shows can be important in accelerating trends, I think it ends up being a lot more effective if the trend comes from another medium, like manga or novels.

OreImo the novel can spawn a lot more imouto/brocon harem follow-ups in other novels than it can in anime. Same with SAO and isekai/MMO series. And that increase in source material is a richer vein to draw on for committees than a trend that stays within the original anime space.

I mean for all the talk we hear of “Madoka clones”, there… really aren’t that many? (Also I hate the term “clones”.) It’s been six years and I’m not sure we’ve quite even averaged one “late-night darkly-themed magical girl show aimed at adults (generally males)” per year since then. Gen’ei Taiyou, Yuyuyu, Mahoiku, uh…? And some of those we may have gotten anyway, since Madoka only popularized the trend in the late night space, it didn’t create it (see Utakata). If instead there were a whole industry of manga or novels being churned out with those themes, I bet we’d see a lot more anime like that.

And some shows are just so singular and strange that I’m not even sure what an imitator would look like. I can’t think of anything that would be meaningfully classified as a Monogatari imitator.

I think the idol trend took off more than dark mahou shoujo, despite having origins outside of manga/novels, because it’s much more amenable to the media-mix approach the industry relies upon so heavily.

As far as YOI goes, it’s very much part of a strong trend (sports anime with cute boy shipping and an adult female target audience) already. If it has far-reaching influence, it will be not in starting a new trend, but in tweaking the direction that trend takes.

• Avatar MK says:

On your last point, as I said I think it will prove difficult to replicate YOI. Explanations of the shows success have often been reductionist, eg, “its BL”, when my belief (as a fan) is it’s a mix of hot guys/BL, how enjoyable the central romance is, the likeable cast, the iceskating, and all the little details and worldbuilding packed into a 12 ep show. The first few are easy to replicate in other shows, the latter not so much. For example, though Free! is conceptually fairly similar to YoI I don’t tend to associate them together in my mind; YoI certainly doesn’t come off as a Free clone.

Re: NukaCola’s question about what makes YoI and Free female orientated compared to other sports anime: The intended demographic of a work can be indicated by things like: Which magazine the manga (if there is one) ran in, the author’s gender (men mostly writing shonen/seinen, and women mostly writing shoujo/josei, though there are many exceptions), and in works directed at a younger audience, often the MC’s gender. Ofcourse these indicators aren’t always right, and as seen with many Shonen Jump series a work can become popular with other demographics than the intended one.

What indicates YoI as being female orientation: 1) Woman writer and director, 2) Strong BL elements and a plethora of hot guys, 3) the last point being undervalued in understanding why most women fans enjoyed the show, the nature of the story. There’s nothing approaching a villain, the closest thing to it being Yuri’s own anxiety. There’s a lot of focus on emotions and the value of love, family, and friendship. And of course the big romance focus which is a female-orientated genre. It would be a massive exaggeration to say these sorts of elements appeal only to women, but probably safe to say more to women than men.

Yeah I’m really not looking for clones/imitators, because frankly there are very, very, very few shows that can justifiably be called clones of others. Series might jump on a bandwagon and include similar themes, but as a fan of cute girls doing cute things slice of life series, I’m all about shows doing similar things but executing them in their own way, and finding something unique in that.

Instead, I’m wondering what it is about YOI that people think might find its way into other shows – if there is anything. That’s not necessarily the same thing as “what things made YOI successful?” as much as “what about it might be portable to other shows so they can put their own spin on it?”

And the answer may be “nothing specifically”, and that’s fine, because being good doesn’t require doing something new or unique, it just requires doing it well.

• Avatar Davv says:

“But I haven’t seen YOI, so what kind of tweaks do you think those might be? What would you look for in a “YOI-influenced” show? Is it primarily the focus on a queer relationship? Or specifically the sport of ice skating? Or are there other elements that set it apart from Oofuri/Kurobas/Haikyuu/Free/Yowapedal/DiaAce that you’d expect to see more of? Is it the fact that, like Free, it wasn’t tied to shounen manga origins like most of the rest?”

When (English-speaking) fans talk about what sets YOI apart for them, the overt romantic feelings between main characters of the same gender usually tops the list, followed by the cast being adults and/or seasoned professional athletes instead of teenage greenhorns competing at the high school level. Other elements that get a mention by fans:
          – its dedication to realism (a pro skater commented that behind-the-scenes details which even skating aficionados are unaware of were accurately portrayed)
          – its non-stereotypical international cast and settings
          – its subversion/aversion of tropes of the sports, romance, and BL genres (a non-spoilery example of the first is the absence of team-bonding themes)
          – anime original not limiting itself to “proven” formulas to compensate for the financial risk of not adapting from source material
          Now, everyone knows YOI didn’t invent these things, but as the first show combining these elements to reach this level of success, it would be viewed as the trendsetter if more shows adopt them.

10. Avatar Cyssa says:

Wow, it’s amazing to see YOI always exceeding my expectations!

11. Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

I’m I the only one who think that we should wait for Yearly list to see if YOI can top at the 3rd position?
    Look like YOI will take LL! 2nd season place but we are still not sure if it will take destiny place.

I definitely could see it taking until the yearly lists, but YOI made a significantly bigger dent in the disc deficit with Destiny than expected this week.

As of last week, it needed to add 27,498 discs to match Destiny.
      Just one week later, it only needs 12,282. It added (or revealed via previously unranked weeks) over 15k discs this week. And I’d say it easily has 1k more in BDs coming in the full list.

12,282 is still a lot of discs, but the biggest challenge it faced was a potentially front-loaded v6 resulting in a smaller tail. Instead, it had a huge wk2 and the tail will be significantly bigger than v5.

If v6 adds 4k more (seems plausible?) that leaves only ~1.6-1.7k discs that need to be added per volume for v1-5. And less depending on what v1-4 BDs do this week. That seems a lot easier than the 2.9k they’d each need if v6’s tail were only equal to v5’s tail.

• Avatar Ayumi says:

Senpai,

Remember when you told me YOI will never overtake LL? Hehe! You should always expect YOI to outperform your expectations.

But I get that you’re cautious. It’s a good thing but this is a reality. YOI is going to be #3. <3 I believe this is the highest it will go. Madoka is unbeatable. (As much as I love YOI, I feel like Madoka should be untouchable.)

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

Wait a second, I will teach you a secret method. <3

Girl people always call me an envy girl xD So when I say something, the opposite thing will happen. ^3^
        Just wanted to try my luck xD

Hahaha I'm joking, ignore what written up^
        Tbh, I didn't expect that but I'm so happy. Like YOI won again Sunshine which has a 5 EVENT TICKET. But I am extremely happy that YOI is the most sold anime in 2016 and surpassing a popular series which has a powerful franchise. I'm so bored of sport high school series, so we have YOI.
        And yes, maybe YOI can beat destiny and LL but it's difficult to beat Madoka.

@something Thanks for explaining.

12. Avatar NukaCola says:

Great utapri, wonder if it will go over 30K later on when more numbers come eventually. Praying fervently for s5 after movie.

13. Avatar moodie says:

The consistency of Zaregoto is great despite the onslaught of delays. Nothing touched the first week sales but the prior sales are great. Guess we are easily breaking that 15k average mark.

14. Avatar Wandering Wastrel says:

Seeing such good numbers for the Haifuri OVA makes me hope for a second season.

Then I look at the Flip Flappers numbers, and I recall that this is the world we live in, and I fold up hope and put it back in its’ box.

15. Avatar Elio says:

Love Live Sunshine S2 really needs to step up 10-fold especially if it’s going to be on the same season as Osumatsu-san S2.

Hell, maybe the industry that tends to aim for male otaku need to look hard at YOI’s success and emulate its elements and have actually yuri counterparts

Unfortunately I’m skeptical that we’ll see a lesbian couple celebrated in the way the YOI boys were. Too many “yuri fans” are just into the optics of girl-girl relationships, not the actual emotional content behind it. Fans that really do want those relationships to thrive are a niche within a niche.

• Avatar hpulley says:

LoveLive Sunshine season one ended an episode with a full yuri confession between Chika and Riko but it was not even mentioned in the anime after that and the relationships only hinted at being any more than friendship. LoveLive is quite mainstream so it can’t go full yuri in the official anime or even the non-canon official manga. Doijins and fanart go all the way of course which is how most of the fanbase prefers it, with 100% plausible deniability in the official product. Going full yuri would likely hurt sales rather than help them. The full yuri anime buying fanbase seems to be very small, sadly.

That said, I don’t think the LoveLive and Osomatsu san fanbases and disk buyers intersect much if at all. I don’t think LoveLive Sunshine will ever reach the sales of LoveLive The School Idol Project. It just couldn’t retain enough original fans or gain enough new ones. It would take a really big surprise in season two to reach those levels IMO. I hope I’m wrong.

• Avatar Sarsar says:

There is reason why they call fujoshi as rotten girls but that don’t apply for yurifans