Jan
To find data, please use the Table of Contents

Schedule
Regarding when you should expect to see this site updated, I’ll follow roughly this schedule:

Tuesday, 3-4AM EST (UTC-4/5) – Preliminary DVD30/50 + BD20/20 ranking, new post. This is very consistent, except around the holidays when Oricon skips a week.

Thursday, night EST – Full weekly DVD100 + BD100 ranking, editing previous post (so no bump). This can take until Friday; it depends when the data is released. Sometimes it’s not available at all on Thursdays, occasionally it even takes until the weekend, but Thursday is most common. Obviously if the initial ful list doesn’t come out until Friday, this would happen Friday evening instead. I usually get to it after I get home from work, whichever day it is.

Weekend, any time – Whole set of rankings updated as appropriate (seasonal vol 1s, yearly averages, yearly per-volume, series quick view, BD boxes), at some point over the weekend when I have time. This will go in a new post, with a summary of links to everything I updated that day. Lately I’ve been doing this every two weeks instead of weekly, mostly due to being tired and lazy.

I will also do some unscheduled posts if I just want to talk about something I’ve observed and or find interesting or noteworthy.

Mid-year rankings tend to come out in late June or early July. Full yearly rankings come out late January. Monthly rankings come out near the end of each month and go in the ranking summary posts.

General Discussion
Also, since I don’t see any reason to set up a forum just for sales discussion, I think we can use this post as a catch-all for any sales-related comments you have that don’t fit in one of the specific posts.

Comments on daily rankings, comments on preorder rankings, general questions, that sort of thing.

1,208 Responses to “Posting Schedule and Open Discussion”

1. something something says:

TV Anime, All Re-releases (boxes, re-issued singles, other)

This used to be the BD Box ¥100m+ list, but I’ve totally overhauled it to cover far more information. See the Notes at the top of the page for more details.

2. Avatar steenspring says:

Don’t know if you care anymore or how long it will last, but Kirara Fantasia doesn’t seem to be region locked anymore.

Even if they (temporarily) remove the region block, they’ve apparently killed emulators, so I still wouldn’t be able to play. Honestly I give up, they’re spending more energy on preventing people from playing their game than anything else.

3. Avatar Anon says:

CG Theaters S3 BDs have gone up for preorders. The first volume comes with a raffle for the 6thLIVE at Seibu’s Dome (capacity: 33K) and the second one for the live at Nagoya’s Dome (40K). And while most people will try their luck with the music CDs, since they are way cheaper, I think it’s safe to assume this short anime will be one of the top sellers of the summer season, just like the first season last year (same methodology and all that).

Hm, I think I’ll be surprised if it does the crazy 44k of s1v1 but these sound like much bigger events than the s2 tickets so it ought to land somewhere between. Unless the cheaper CDs cannibalize all of the BD ticket possibilities.

• Avatar Anon says:

To put it into perspective, S1 had a lottery for two lives at SSA (22K capacity) and S2 for two lives/talkshows at Maihama’s Amphitheater (only 2K).
        This time they’ll be doing four shows in baseball stadiums (two at Seibu, two at Nagoya) but I have to agree, even with the bigger lives I doubt v1 will reach those 44K but this raffle also includes a lottery for 20 special seats, that might secure the high numbers for the BDs.

4. Avatar Siliziumleben says:

Seems like the Phantom in the Twilight BDs have been cancelled and it seems no Box set has been announced as of now.
    I remember some stuff switching from singles to box sets or getting delayed until further notices, but I think there are not that much cases where a release gets completely cancelled. I think I am aware of only one case.

Would be really interesting to know what happened behind the scenes or if pre orders have been too low, but that did not prevent other stuff to get their releases.

Interesting. The committee is unusual in that it seems to be just one company (Happy Elements Asia Pacific) that I’ve never heard of before but is apparently the game publisher. The BDs were to be published and distributed by NBC Universal, who at least according to Ultimatemegax’s spreadsheet isn’t on the committee.

It’s still more likely than not that a box will crop up at some point, unless the relationship with NBC Universal just totally fell through I guess.

5. something something says:

Site was down for some days because my hosting provider disabled the site for having too much load (how I don’t know, considering this is such a small-time site),and leaving absolutely no intelligible instructions for how to undo that. They also suggested a move to a different hosting plan they offer as a potential fix, and *that* was a whole terrible adventure in and of itself because some obscure setting in one of my plugins decided to make the site show up as blank for a day or so.

Anyway, that was rather obnoxious. But it’s back.

• Avatar Progeusz says:

Glad to have you back, something!

Fingers crossed they won’t cause any more issues in the future because they seem like quite a problematic provider. I remember they weren’t very helpful in the past either.

• Avatar AnimePhoenix says:

Glad to see you back and I really hope it always stays up!

6. Avatar Brandon says:

I see translated things like “Initial Benefits” and “Every time privilege” and I dont really quite get what that all means. Does this mean that if you preorder too late you could just get a regular blu-ray containing just the “Every time privilege”?

Sounds like a machine translation so I’m not sure what exactly is meant. Do you have the original JP or a link or something to the item in question?

But if you’re talking about BDs, the “limited” edition is usually, effectively, the only edition. If you buy an LE then that’s what you’re going to get. You won’t see it gets replaced by a “regular” edition or anything. But in extremely rare cases there may be “first edition” bonuses that are indeed limited.

• Avatar Brandon says:

It is a machine translation, and all 3 official websites for a few shows I was interested all have the translation.

Machine translation aside, each show seems to specifically have a section laid out under “initial benefit” and “every time privilege”

The initial benefit lists basically what you want, I just dont get why under “every time privilege”

I went ahead and got my preorders in for Uzamaid and Bloom Into You, im sure its fine, but im still really curious whats the deal.

For example on Uzamaid this is the translation im seeing

Initial production benefits

① Character design · Jun Yamazaki drawn down Digipak
        ② Special CD 1 (Original Sound Track) UPDATE
        ③ Special clear case
        ④ Special leaflet
        ⑤ Made secret material of our maid ① (set · original picture collection)
        ⑥ End card port rate

Every time privilege

① Audio commentary –
        ②Web notice
        ③ Non credit OP, ED
        ④ Picture Label

Confused lol

Ah I wouldn’t worry about it. They talk about it as if it’s a “first press” limited bonus but… it’s really not limited. You could buy it in two years and get everything.

The only things that are ever potentially limited are store-exclusive bonuses. Sometimes individual stores get externally attached physical bonuses that have limited quantities. But everything you listed is for the core release, so whenever you order it, you’ll get it.

(Note, I can say this confidently having bought well over a thousand of the things, but of course there’s always a tiny possibility that some release or another is going to be an exception. So keep that in mind. But it’s very very unlikely.)

7. Avatar HoHo says:

Where can I find information about BD/DVD prediction? I’m currently more interested about Zombieland Saga and Goblin Slayer.

It’s just a news aggregation blog. They reposting stuff from 2ch/5ch for the most part.

• Avatar HoHo says:

Ah! my bad. I used wrong word. I actually mean the info about sale from that site.

Anyway, I’m glad to see that the info is correct. :D

Oh, just to be clear then, Pripri (like Stalker and mingzuozhibi before it) doesn’t report sales, only estimates. So any number you see there is their guess at what Oricon will report.

8. Avatar bitcomet says:

Is Oricon on break this week?

9. something something says:

I’m not sure why MAL didn’t post the sales this week, but a lot of v1s came out on the week of the 28th. I updated my spreadsheet, so the Summer and Fall 2018 v1s pages are current, just FYI.

1,545 – Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara
    12,222 – Sword Art Online: Alicization
    4,180 – Golden Kamuy 2nd Season
    1,049 – Senran Kagura Shinovi Master: Tokyo Youma-hen
    645 – Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!
    205 – Uchuu Senkan Tiramisù II
    6,101 – Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
    198 – Muhyo to Rouji no Mahouritsu Soudan Jimusho
    78 – Tsukumogami Kashimasu

10. Hey someanithing,

I really like this site and all the data you’ve compiled here.

Would you be interested in integrating a visualization tool to your website? (completely free, not trying to make a sale)

I’m creating something right now and would love to show you if you’re interested.

Best,
    RyanMichael

This site is pretty much in maintenance mode at this point – I update the rankings every few weeks, but I am not currently looking to add any new pages or features. Also the site isn’t really set up in a way where I could make any use of such tools. I don’t have all the sales info in a database or anything – it’s just a big spreadsheet on my computer. I then use some Excel formulas to format the data for the various charts and manually paste it in. So, thanks, but I’m not looking to do anything new around here at this point.

• Ah okay I gotcha. I actually already setup a database for the data you have on this site so you wouldn’t have to worry about any of that.

I have the site here now and would love for you to check it out!

If you like it, would you care to put a link to it on this site? I think we can do something really cool with all the data you’ve collected.

11. Avatar Blue mouser says:

Thank you for keeping the site updated even if sporadically when you have the time. Much appreciated. I read that my fav anime this spring and summer season, Kimetsu no Yaiba did well in BD sales. As you pointed out this is not as strong an indicator of popularity like in the past. Given the incredible job UFOtable is doing animating this series, I think it’s good for the series and may help to provide more incentive for the second season!

Yeah it debuted at 11,594 which was quite surprising. There is an event ticket, though, and it’s 11 volumes long, so I expect it’ll drop fairly heavily by the end. Nonetheless, it’s a very strong opening.

• Avatar Blue mouser says:

Looks like volume 1 is still selling a little each week. Expect that fire force and esp dr stone will blow these numbers out of the water. Still am glad to see that this anime that was under the radar for so long is getting some love and support. Esp with some of the reviewers on some of the bigger anime blogger sites writing condescend to unrelenting critical reviews on this anime. Again, thank you, thank you so much for keeping the sales data updated!

Dr. Stone and Enen no Shouboutai are both estimated at well under 1k, so you shouldn’t expect them to sell much of anything. They don’t need to, though (especially Dr. Stone). BDs aren’t the focus.

12. Avatar Zhou says:

Since even ANN isn’t reporting on weekly BD, DVD and manga sales anymore (did they cancel their Oricon subscription or something?), could someone please point me towards a website that does that?

I’m not aware of any remaining sources in English (to be fair, I’ve not actually tried to find one), but your best bet is to go to the Chinese site, it’s where I get the charts.

1. Go to http://tieba.baidu.com/f/search/res?ie=utf-8&qw=

2. Search for the latest report date in this format: 【周榜单】yyyymd日付
      Note: Always click the white button that says 全吧搜索. I’m not sure what the difference is but it brings up the right results, blue button usually does not. Also note, sometimes you have to run the search twice before you get the most recent results.

3. Note that Oricon reports a) start on a Monday and b) are always dated for two Mondays after the Monday that the reporting period started. For example, last week’s report for Monday July 29 through Sunday August 4th (which had data released on Tuesday, August 6th) wasn’t 【周榜单】2019年7月29日付, it was 【周榜单】2019年8月12日付.

4. This means you’d search http://tieba.baidu.com/f/search/res?ie=utf-8&qw=【周榜单】2019年8月12日付

To see next week’s sales you’ll want to periodically search for http://tieba.baidu.com/f/search/res?ie=utf-8&qw=【周榜单】2019年8月19日付, which should be up some time Tuesday-ish, depending on your time zone.

Of course the caveat here is that the post is a screenshot of the Oricon site, so it’s not in text format and it’s in Japanese.