Jan
To find data, please use the Table of Contents

Schedule
Regarding when you should expect to see this site updated, I’ll follow roughly this schedule:

Tuesday, 3-4AM EST (UTC-4/5) – Preliminary DVD30/50 + BD20/20 ranking, new post. This is very consistent, except around the holidays when Oricon skips a week.

Thursday, night EST – Full weekly DVD100 + BD100 ranking, editing previous post (so no bump). This can take until Friday; it depends when the data is released. Sometimes it’s not available at all on Thursdays, occasionally it even takes until the weekend, but Thursday is most common. Obviously if the initial ful list doesn’t come out until Friday, this would happen Friday evening instead. I usually get to it after I get home from work, whichever day it is.

Weekend, any time – Whole set of rankings updated as appropriate (seasonal vol 1s, yearly averages, yearly per-volume, series quick view, BD boxes), at some point over the weekend when I have time. This will go in a new post, with a summary of links to everything I updated that day. Lately I’ve been doing this every two weeks instead of weekly, mostly due to being tired and lazy.

I will also do some unscheduled posts if I just want to talk about something I’ve observed and or find interesting or noteworthy.

Mid-year rankings tend to come out in late June or early July. Full yearly rankings come out late January. Monthly rankings come out near the end of each month and go in the ranking summary posts.

General Discussion
Also, since I don’t see any reason to set up a forum just for sales discussion, I think we can use this post as a catch-all for any sales-related comments you have that don’t fit in one of the specific posts.

Comments on daily rankings, comments on preorder rankings, general questions, that sort of thing.

1,214 Responses to “Posting Schedule and Open Discussion”

1. Avatar Lovely One says:

Thank you for all your effort!

2. something something says:

Not that there’s much to see just yet, but the 2017 posts have been started in anticipation of next week’s first big rush of Winter Vol 1s:

2017 Total Average Sales, TV/ONA
    2017 Total Sales by Volume
    2017 Winter Seasonal Vol 1 Rankings

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

Oh, why you add ONA instead of OVA! OVA sell more and there are many OVA that has a good sales.

I only specify “ONA” because some shows online stream weekly online rather than on TV. But otherwise, they’re the same thing as a weekly TV series. So it’s mostly just mentioned so that nobody comments “But ‘x’ only streamed online rather than on TV so it’s not TV series!”

OVA are a completely different kind of thing, and not comparable to a TV/ONA series in terms of release model/sales expectations/etc. The only OVAs I cover are OVAs that are connected to a ONA/TV series. See the second table on the quick view page for those.

3. Avatar Progeusz says:

Granblue Fantasy makes up almost half of Amazon’s top50 right now, with 6 discs in top10 and 14 in top21. It is huge.

For the record, extras in GBF volumes are arguably worth more than a couple of thousands of yen so the sales are very inflated. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people bought the show without any intention of watching it. Obviously that doesn’t change the fact anime will sell incredibly well and will bring in huge profits because virtual goods are cheap to make. Its success should gain a lot of publicity, which will bring many people to the franchise and so the profit will grow even further. Honestly, it’s an amazing decision on the part of producers.

http://i.imgur.com/HE5cBUp.jpg one “10-roll” is 3000 yen and normally it doesn’t guarantee SSR character, so the offer here can easily be considered as valuable as whole BD volume. Furthermore people who order all volumes get an incredibly rare item which is normally available only in very limited amount despite big demand for it and plenty of players would be willing to buy whole season for it alone.

I think the most amazing part is really that Kancolle and Tourabu bizarrely refused to do the same.

Like it’s such a no-brainer to jam these codes into your discs and they just… didn’t.

• Avatar Ejc says:

Yeah, that was quite baffling… KADOKAWA could’ve saved themselves the disappointment of the KanColle anime selling much lower than they expected by bundling bonuses that the browser game fans actually wanted. But no, they wasted a perfectly good opportunity.

• Avatar WANNFH says:

The answer for the thing why KanColle/TouRabu disc releases doesn’t include promo-codes lies in the game itself – because there is NO ingame promocodes function. Kantai Collection and TouRabu just uses a different f2p business model from GBF.

If someone is bizzare to not include the codes for virtual goodies, that should be Aniplex with Fate/Grand Order disc release.

Yeah I heard there wasn’t any pre-existing functionality for redeeming codes, but in Kancolle you can do things like purchase more dry-dock space, right? I’m sure there could have been a way to make more ships or whatever a purchasable option, except you redeem a code. Of course hat incurs some amount of development cost, but surely a recoupable one.

• Avatar WANNFH says:

Yes, you can – but all that things is bought directly by exchange the DMM virtual currency in the ingame shop, with no codes. And they can’t just include the DMM points -because it’s like giving the money coupons to buy everything on the shop.

4. Avatar hpulley says:

K is getting 7 movies now. GaruPan 6 last time. Who is getting 8 movies? Movie format is back with a vengeance. Yay, even more shows I need to wait months or years to watch!

5. Avatar sicupu15 says:

Hey, something. I’m curious about how H-anime market work. Does it sell well? How much the average sales per volume? I mean they are keep making it every year. So there must be a market for it, yes?

Trackers like Oricon don’t report hentai sales, so I genuinely have no idea. There’s definitely a market for it, but whether it’s large or not is anyone’s guess.

6. something something says:

We’ve talked about production committees ad nauseum here, but usually it’s a short comment reply here, an aside there, a curiouscat or ask.fm reply over yonder.

Thankfully Ultimatemegax has put together a concise intro to production committees on Sakura Blog, which I recommend reading:

What Is An Anime’s Production Committee?

Production committees are the single most fundamentally important thing to understand if you want to grasp anything about how the anime industry works. I recommend having a basic understanding of the concept, at least, before trying to evaluate any show’s success or failure. If you don’t, you probably won’t be able to ask the right questions.

Of course so much of the precise inner workings of committees is still a black box to us. But just understanding the basics is a huge start, because reality is radically different from the studio-based perspective most fans (understandably) have.

7. Avatar Hahalollawl says:

It’s kind of weird that the inner workings of a production committee are still so unknown to us. You’d think some disgruntled production committee member would of spilled some secrets by now wouldn’t you? Not like they have to sign an NDA or anything like that right?

I’m *sure* they have NDAs and such, it’s usually frowned upon (no matter the industry) to just starting revealing specifics about the business dealings between you and your partners. The anime industry in particular gets so much done with trust and personal relationships that it’d be a very bad idea to reveal anything private. We can get generalities, but not specifics of individual projects.

And frankly, there isn’t all that much interest in this stuff outside of small groups of people like us who care about it.

8. something something says:

Someone on curiouscat said they’d encountered ads on this site. Can any of you confirm if you have as well? If so, where did you see them?

I never set up any kind of ads here (not even sure how if I wanted to, which I don’t) so nothing like that should be appearing.

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

Yes, I saw one yesterday when I was checking the weekly list. I thought you added it. Thank god you didn’t XD

Was it a popup? Or something on the page? Or some kind of redirect?

• Avatar JJ says:

I was on mobile and it opened up a new tab with ads
          when I clicked on a link.

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

Same as JJ but I didn’t click on the link, I re-loaded it. It was popup.

I’ll have to see what I can do. If it’s not something on your end that happened for multiple people at once, maybe some weird setting got turned on on my end without my consent.

By the way do any of you remember what the ad was for? Happen to catch the URL or anything? May help if I can include that info when I contact my hosting provider.

If you do come across any more ads, please drop a comment as to where they tried to take you. Thanks.

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

It was a white square in the middle, I didn’t see it properly because it was loading so I re-loaded it. I will post it again if anything happens.

• Avatar homu says:

Saw it today on mobile. It’s a pop under from ad site call goclick or something. Scarily, it opens up a browser hijacking link asking me to install a new launcher.

• Avatar homu says:

Hope this gets sorted out.

• Avatar Davv says:

They suddenly appeared a week or two ago for me. If I don’t have cookies enabled in my browswe, I get a pop-up ad every time I click a link or a comment field.

• Avatar Siliziumleben says:

My anti virus scanner is also currently blocking something when I visit this site. Not sure what it is exactly though.

9. Avatar Ayumi says:

Not me. Haven’t seen a single ad on mobile (iPhone),tablet nor PC.

My friend runs a site as well and something like this had happened to her a while back. Ads popping up on mobile views (mostly Samsung). It might not be coming from your site. There are some mobile virus that make certain mobile browsers see ads.

10. something something says:

Got home and sent a ticket over to Dreamhost, so we’ll see how this goes.

11. something something says:

Well, that was and was not the answer I wanted, but hosting provider came back and said a malware/exploit scan returned no known vulnerabilities on the site. That’s good, but I’d almost have rather they found something so they could remove it and we’d have some idea what’s going on.

I guess some of you are still seeing these ads?

• Avatar Yaoi-Senpai says:

Yes, I saw one today as well.

Well, it sure doesn’t look like there’s anything I can do. Everything about the hosting is pretty hands off, I just do super basic “add a new post” stuff through the WordPress UI. Sigh.

12. something something says:

Alright so I found some other scanning tools and they found one potential issue, which has been fixed. Why my hosting provider’s scans didn’t find it but free scan services did, I don’t know… got some other security plugins installed now too, which will hopefully help prevent it from happening again.

Unfortunately reverting files to their default state also removed the fix I did that prevented the comments list from looking completely terrible. I’m still not sure why the default version of the comments has this stupid layout for the avatar→username→comment text.

Edit: guess I’ll stick with this layout, it’s a lot of vertical space wasted but doesn require editing the php file, which is something the scanners don’t like.

Edit2: Just FYI had to do a database restore. The only thing that was lost was the last few comments, though.

Also if you have any issues logging in, you can contact me on twitter at @somekindofthing. I enabled a bunch of security stuff and I think it shouldn’t cause login issues, but who knows.

13. Avatar AholePony says:

Glad you might have found the issue. You don’t want some jerks skimming off your site with shady ads. You aren’t kidding about the default comment layout sheesh, this is why programmers aren’t the same as UX designers lol.

14. Avatar RupertPowl says:

This might be a bit early, but can we say the upcoming Symphogear S4 and Owarimonogatari S2 will probably compete for the best selling series of summer 2017 unless there’s another surprise hit?

Symphogear would essentially need to pull off a doubling yet again to seriously compete with Owari, and that seems unlikely.

Owari’s main competition is Fate/Apocrypha. I don’t follow the Fate/ series so I don’t know how “significant” this particular entry is in the canon, but it shouldn’t be too hard for a Fate series to pull down 20k.

Touken Ranbu could in theory compete as well but Hanamaru is a ~15k series so unless Katsugeki is much more popular, it won’t be in the 20k range of Owari or Fate.

Of course there’s plenty of shows I know nothing about so I can only focus on high-profile adaptations and sequels. There could always be a Garupan/YOI-style mega-surprise.

15. something something says:

Quick heads up – I’m doing some user account cleanup because there’s >15k users in the database and >99.9% are almost certainly spam. I’m only removing users who have 0 comments but if you for some reason find your account is missing you can always recreate it, I assume. But I don’t think many people made an account directly with this site anyway… er actually I’m not even sure how someone would since there’s no “account creation” here at all. So I’m going to delete nearly all of the accounts. I don’t think it should affect any of you who comment regularly but if for some reason you have an issue, then contact me on twitter @ somekindofthing