I watched zero anime this weekend, so I’m still on episode one of everything. I guess that means an episode one impressions post?
[Standard disclaimer: I do try to avoid BIG spoilers, or be vague about them, but if you’re more behind on a show than I am, maybe avoid the comments for that one.]
1. Koufuku Graffiti [▲▼new] – 1 ep – I never quite know what to expect when going into a “slice of life” show, in part because that term is so broad and poorly defined. Koufuku’s flavor was definitely more on the minimal comedy, maximum heartwarming side for episode one. It was a subdued episode, even with all the Shaft visual flair. Instead of introducing a whole group, it focused almost exclusively on Ryou and Kirin’s meeting. I have a feeling this won’t be the primary tone of the rest of the show, but I do hope it retains “becoming family” as a major underlying theme! I know that won’t help its sales (which I expect to be bad) but it’ll be my favorite show of the season for sure if it keeps this up. I’m annoyed it’s delaycast on CR but it’s still getting out on Saturday nights at least.
2. Dog Days” [▲▼new] – 1 ep – Couldn’t ask for a better, more fitting opener than this. It’s pure distilled Dog Days, and Dog Days is a synonym for fun. Cou’s excitement for seeing Rebecca is as infectious as ever. Cinque and Nanami get most of the focus, and their teamwork is great. Then we meet a promising new horse-eared (that’s unusual) character. There was a whole bunch of really cool character animation in this episode as well, even if we should expect the season to be inconsistent on that front. Super dumb limited regions on CR *but* English subs, so rips to the rescue a la Barakamon.
3. The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls [▲▼new] – 1 ep – While I went into both Imas seasons without having played the respective games, I feel like I went into original Imas with more knowledge about the characters from years of fanart and such. Deremas I know much less about. I had a better sense of personalities and relationships in the 756 cast pre-airing than I did with Deremas. That said the first episode did a very good job introducing two of the three main girls and our amazing new P-san. I spent more time talking about him than both the girls combined in the first episode.
I won’t bother comparing to original Imas opener, because I don’t see the point. They were such different episodes, and I came into them with different levels of familiarity. Original Imas I had no idea whether I’d enjoy or not, while Deremas I very much expect to enjoy because of the original. Unfortunately this one got sucked into Daisuki hell so I’m stuck waiting for fansubs that, as this weekend showed, won’t necessarily be out on the weekend at all. I guess I’ll be perpetually behind. Not that I watched the stuff that WAS out this weekend so whatever!
4. Durarara!! x2 Shou [▲▼new] – 1 ep – I wasn’t sure how I’d feel after five years but I felt myself promptly drawn back into the pace of Durarara’s Ikebukuro. Celty is painfully adorable this season. It’s not a major change because she’s always had this cute, awkward side, but it feels stronger now. I don’t get to hear Sawashiro Miyuki as much as I’d like to nowadays given my decreased viewing, so the more Celty we get the better. I’m also keeping an eye on the Orihara sisters as potential favorites. Thankfully a straightforward on-time CR stream, one of only two shows I can say that for this season.
5. Yuri Kuma Arashi [▲▼new] – 1 ep – I rate it very yuri, significantly kuma, mildly arashi. The first episode was pretty fun, if useless to try to evaluate on its own. Right now I only have questions, both about the plot and about how it intends to play the “yuri” theme it’s pushing so hard. The OP is a miracle, and the Kureha/Sumika relationship is real. But as much as I like the foot biting and petal licking from a visual perspective, by itself fanservice is little more than window dressing. Even in such an intentionally abstract and surreal show, I’m interested in more than metaphors.
Obviously there are aspects to the show that have nothing to do with yuri (like what the bears are, what their relationship with humanity is, basically most of the actual plot) but understandably a big part of my interest is in the yuri angle! If you’re going to market so hard on that, I expect to see you explore a romantic relationship between girls. Other things too, yes, and you can do it in weird, artistic ways, but you can’t drop the ball completely and expect me to wave it away. Fingers crossed, then, because I have no idea what the show plans to do!
Fansubs for this one as well, but at least the group I’m using seems to be pretty quick. It airs on Mondays, and it’s not like I’m going to have time to watch before Friday or Saturday anyway, by which time subs are long since out.
6. Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken Stardust Crusaders Egypt-hen [▲▼new] – 1 ep – Well, it’s Jojo. With a dog that isn’t immediately and violently murdered. How odd. Straightforward CR stream here too, too bad it’s the one I have the least interest in.
None this season!
• Log Horizon – 14? eps – Too lazy to look up what episode I got to. I just know I’m a few behind now and need to catch up. Only ongoing Fall ’14 show.
• Fairy Tail – 33? eps – This arc started with promise but a few episodes in the sheer atrocity that is this show’s animation started taking a toll on my enjoyment. What awful production, guh. I hope it cleans up.
n/a, expecting none
Koufuku, Dog Days, Imas should be the easy import picks. Then it’s down to Drrr and Yurikuma. Drrr’s handicap is the three split cour thing Aniplex will be milking for all its worth, while Yurikuma’s handicap is that I probably won’t know how I feel about it until it’s over. Jojo isn’t in the running and I don’t plan on watching anything else, so that means one show is going to get left out! Unless they’re both just so damn good I have to buy both, I suppose.