I should be going to bed now but I really wanted to update this, so here goes! Switched the import tags over to a rough % likelihood of importing.
1. Sora no Method [▲0▼] – 6 ep, 9/10 – [95% import] Chaika is making a serious grab for #1 this season but Sorameso refuses to hand the crown over just yet. I really thought Yuzuki’s story ended well (and I loved this scene), but wow episode 6 may have made her my favorite character in the show. Endearing beyond words, and a truly heartwarming episode in general. Top tier stuff.
2. Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle [▲4] – 5 ep, 9/10 – [99% import] A spectacular run of episodes since I last watched at ep 1. This season is paced perfectly so far. The great action scenes continue, and I especially loved White and Red factions briefly joining forces in the latest episode. Best RPG party! But the highlight of the latest episode was, of course, this. The whole damn episodes I was totally losing it over how damn cool this show is.
Goddamnit I wish that Scrapped Princess BD box were out sooner, I need to rewatch it so badly.
3. Log Horizon Season 2 [▲3] – 6 ep, 8/10 – [80% import] This season started with four decent enough episodes, but 5-6 are where it all really gets back into the groove season one achieved when it was at its best. Avoiding spoilers, I’ll just say that this season has gotten intensely interesting, and I totally forgive the show for having made Akatsuki such a poorly-developed non-character for so long. These past two episodes have been critically important for her, and both in terms of just giving her something to do, but also allowing her to be more than just “that girl who pines for Shiroe all day”. Character development banzai!
4. Amagi Brilliant Park [▲0▼] – 6 ep, 8/10 – [75% import] I laughed very hard and very often this weekend watching episodes 5-6. Hands down the best comedy the show has delivered so far, and it’s improved its import chances markedly. Ye gods, KyoAni shows have such a spectacular knack for humor.
5. Girlfriend (Kari) [▲0▼] – 4 ep, 8/10 – [25% import] Timing didn’t allow me to get today’s new episode in, but episode 4 was really really good! Like, “one of the better episodes of anime of the whole season” good. The girls leading this episode had fantastic chemistry, Ao-chan’s character was adorable, Mizuhashi Kaori’s character totally needs more screentime, and overall it was relaxing, funny, just very very well put together.
6. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [▼3] – 3 ep – Haven’t watched more since last update. Will catch up at some point.
None this season!
• Yama no Susume Second Season – 17 eps, 9/10 – I’m floored week after week at the idea that such a beautiful show created by such talented people can exist. Right now I think I have to call this not just #1 of Summer, but #2 of the entire year. You absolutely have to watch it if you haven’t yet. It’s even all up on CR now (or HS rips if your region has been excluded)!
• Fairy Tail – 25 eps, 7/10 – I’ll catch up eventually!
• Shirobako – 5 ep – Felt physically ill watching ep 5. I expected some annoyance given one of the girls is into CGI, but the pro-CGI preaching in this episode was much worse than anything I had been expecting from the show. It’s a shame because it’s such a good show otherwise, but I literally cannot keep watching this. The message was utterly toxic. I’m out.
• Gugure! Kokkuri-san – 2 ep
Chaika and Sorameso are all but locked for import at this point. Log Horizon has performed exceptionally these past two weeks so it’s very much in the running, but with it being two cour I have plenty of time to make a decision. Shirobako taking itself out of the running improves Amaburi’s chances drastically, though Girlfriend (kari) isn’t going down without a fight. I’d just import them all but I’d like to keep to 4 this season. I mean there’s no real reason why I couldn’t get all 5, but I dunno, seeing if I can stick with 4.
Overall, Fall 2014 has gone much better than Fall 2013, even if there have still been disappointments (such as all but one of the shows I’m importing on track to sell atrociously, but what else is new?).
Current 2014 Top 10
1. Sakura Trick (Winter)
2. Yama no Susume Second Season (Summer)
3. Akuma no Riddle (Spring)
4. Saki Zenkoku-hen (Winter)
4. Futsuu no Joshikousei ga Locodol Yatte Mita (Summer)
6. Hanayamata (Summer)
6. Hitsugi no Chaika (Spring / Fall)
6. Free! Eternal Summer (Summer)
6. Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? (Spring)
10. No Game No Life (Spring)
Grouping both cour of Chaika together because its timing is convenient like that. Sorameso should end up here, but for the moment I’m leaving off any shows that only just started in Fall. Crazy to think we’re a month and a half away from doing 2014 year in review posts now.