Fall certainly crept up on me! We’re only two weeks out from the first episode 1s. Announcements should be final at this stage, so here goes.
Guaranteed Watches, Sequels
• Log Horizon Season 2 – AKA the “MMO/trapped in a game” show I like! As long as the love triangle stays reasonably understated and we don’t get into blatant harem territory with Shiro, this should be really great. Just keep focusing on that really fascinating world building and slowly unraveling the mystery of how they got there, and I’ll be very happy.
• Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle – The sequel to the show with probably the best ending so far this year. Yay more Chaika!
Guaranteed Watches, New Shows
• Amagi Brilliant Park – It’s KyoAni, otherwise I wouldn’t even have it on my list. I’m not expecting much to be honest, but the Takemoto/Gatou combo gave us Hyouka, which is only one of the best shows ever made, period. Soooo… worth a shot. If nothing else the character designs are ludicrously attractive.
Possible Watches, New Shows
• Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru – In theory this should be right up my alley. In theory… But I dunno, I feel like getting excited about this would be a mistake. So I’m taking a very reserved stance towards it to avoid disappointment.
• Sora no Method – I’ll at least try it because it seems to focus on the two female leads, but if the dude in the background of the promo art plays any kind of romantic role, I’m probably out.
• Shirobako – Not really big on any of the recent originals animated by PA Works, but maybe this will change things given it focuses on an all-female cast. I also really like the idea of a show depicting the anime industry, after being interested enough in Bakuman (flaws and all) to watch six cour about the manga side. Fingers crossed that this is one of the good Mizushima shows.
• Nanatsu no Taizai – With HxH finally ending and Jojo taking a one cour break, my shounen block has started to unravel, reduced to only Fairy Tail (which I enjoy, but having only one is a little sad). I’m hoping I enjoy this so I can fill the gap a little.
Shows continuing from earlier seasons
Fairy Tail and Yama no Susume
Gotta say, I really think that’s it, and I doubt they’ll all turn out to be good, even if they don’t get ruined by CGI or bad streams or any of the other reasons independent of actual story/character execution that can sink a show. Nothing else jumps out at me at all, unless there’s one or two cute shorts I missed. The only other show I might be keeping an eye on is Denki-Gai no Honya-san in the event I hear it’s something along the lines of Working!!, though ideally with less focus on romance. If I’m going to watch a show with guys in it, ideally it isn’t a show taking place in a school.
Honestly, by and large I’m just dying to get Fall over with and get to Winter, which is going to be INSANELY GOOOOOOOD even if just the four shows I’m currently anticipating (Koufuku, Imas, Drrr, Dog Days) turn out well.