Removing the outdated intro here to just say, hey, heres my top 20. I initially posted this in mid 2014 but I’ll bump it up in the post order any time I make a big change since it was hiding a bajillion pages back. [2015 SEP 22]

Updated as of 2017-02-17

15 ▲1 Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! 2007 ufotable
16 ▲1 Sora no Woto 2010 A1 Pictures
17 ▲1 Touka Gettan 2007 Studio DEEN
18 New Koufuku Graffiti 2015 Shaft
19 New Flying Witch 2016 JC Staff
20 New Ookami to Koushinryou 2008 Imagin / Brain's Base

[Entries include all relevant sequels, e.g. Idolmaster counts Cinderella Girls too, Aria is all three seasons, etc]

Dropped out as of 2017-02-17 list:
K-ON!
Clannad
Hyouka

Dropped out as of 2016-12-29 list:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

Dropped out as of 2016-04-10 list:
Strike Witches
Maria-sama ga Miteru

I don’t have a clear criteria for getting into my top series ranking, or even for the ordering. It’s just whatever I’m feeling at the moment!

Feel free to post your lists, of course!

39 Responses to “All-time Favorites (updated 2017-02-17)”

1. something something says:

Just finished rewatching Sakura Trick so it’s time for some big updates. I’m trying to drop all attachment to nostalgia and just move stuff around wildly without thinking too much!

Sakura Trick jumps up six spots all the way to #3. This show is just too important to me to put it any lower than that.

Huge jumps for Idolmaster (adding Deremas and watching Animas last year helps a lot), Yuyushiki (the rewatch prior to Sakura Trick), and Yama no Susume (because of just thinking back on what a masterpiece the second season is, goddamn).

After its best season yet, Yuru Yuri finally makes an appearance in the top 20. I also brought Sora no Woto back because I’ve been a little iffy on keeping Marimite above it, but in truth they’re difficult to compare and might as well be tied.

And after a decade, Haruhi finally slips from the top 10.

Not sure what else might move. If I did a Hyouka rewatch it could go up, but then so could Mouretsu if I rewatched that. My next rewatch will liekly be Hidamari or Aria though. But not for a few months, I actually have a decent amount of new shows to watch in Spring.

2. Scruffy says:

Nice list! I’ve been really enjoying the new Aria episodes. Just managed to watch episode 2 a couple of days ago. About the only show on your top 20 list I haven’t watched is Touka Gettan which I understand airs backwards!

I must say I have a huge affection for Yama no Susume. It’s great to see the manga being translated!

Yeah, Touka Gettan’s story structure is fascinating. It’s a gradual reveal of finding out what scenes that previously seemed frivolous or nonsensical actually meant. It’s very theatrical (one pivotal episode is told using the device of a stage play) and fantastical and at times confusing to follow, but it’s gorgeous and silly and dramatic and so many things all at once. I haven’t watched it in many years because I’ve been waiting in vain for a BD box, which I’ve kinda given up hope of ever seeing.

3. Wow! Awesome list! I really like your taste! Haha. Over time favorites can change. By the way since I’m talking. Thanks for always updating Anime Sales. I’ve never gotten to say it. You’re awesome! I love to see the sales and stuff! It must be hard work. Thanks so much!
    Anyways, here’s my list on my favorite Anime Series. Not necessarily just the anime but the series as a whole.
    My Top Anime Series of All Time:
    1. Hyperdimension Neptunia Vs. Senran Kagura
    2. Love Live! School Idol Project
    3. K-ON!
    4. Kiniro Mosaic Vs. Is The Order A Rabbit?
    5. Himouto Umaru Chan!
    6. Lucky Star
    7. Gintama
    8. Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
    9. Kill la Kill

Runner Ups:
    1. Hanayamata
    2. Yuyushiki
    3. Wakaba Girls
    4. Kantai Collection
    5. Space Dandy
    6. SpongeBob Squarepants, haha just kidding.

4. something something says:

I suppose this is a slight spoiler for my 2016 list, but… well, I’ve updated my top 20 again.

• AholePony says:

Oh wow you really loved Flip Flapping lol. Knowing some of your preferences from what you’ve said here I get it, still sad you dropped K-On 4 spots ;-( The only outlier to me is Manabi Straight, do you have a review stashed away somewhere? Curious what you like about it, I thought it was kind of empty feeling myself.

Manabi was way before I started trying to collect and preserve my thoughts on shows in any useful way, so I don’t have anything written up.

It’d be difficult to explain my feelings about it if you came away feeling it was a bit empty, because the very reason I like it is that I feel the complete opposite way, heh. What I remember best about Manabi is how it hit really well crafted emotional highs in so many different episodes. Most shows don’t deliver a final episode half as satisfying as Manabi handles the majority of its episodes.

I also really appreciated the slight tinge of melancholy that ran through the whole thing. “Save our dying school” isn’t a new idea but no show did it as well for me as Manabi did. Manabi herself takes on the role of blasting away the dull gray gloom of an increasingly childless world through her sheer excitement and determination. It’s weird to explain, but I feel like her enthusiasm isn’t blind optimism. I think she reads the mood well, and even if she risks annoying people with her overwhelming cheeriness, presses on anyway, knowing it’ll be for the best in the end. The show sticks to that theme throughout and is really rewarding for it.

I kinda mourn the loss of the old ufotable that produced this and Futakoi Alternative. Sure, they’re infinitely more successful and popular now than they were then, but their current filter-heavy, digi-effects-laden action spectacles aren’t my cup of tea.

• AholePony says:

I can appreciate that. It only felt empty to me because I didn’t connect with the characters, any SoL-ish anime lives and dies by the characters and sometimes they just don’t click for you. “…blasting away the dull gray gloom of an increasingly childless world through her sheer excitement and determination.” sounds an awful lot like someone in your new #1 series!

5. Gintoki_KotAro says:

stranger taste ( :

for me the top 5

1-Gintama
    2-Natsume Yuujinchou
    3- Steins gate
    4-Hunter x hunter
    5-Shigatsu wa kimi no uso

6. Yil says:

I’m surprised that Jinrui is not on your list. It’s the one non-yuri series I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.

Also, what did you think of AKB0048?

Jintai is fantastic. Watched it, loved it, imported it. But I’ve seen (in part or full) something like 900 series and by definition only a small number of those can get onto a top 20.

As for AKB, the CG was too much of a turn-off, I’m not that into idols, and after one or two good eps it just wasn’t doing it for me. I might have continued if not for the CG, but everything combined led to a drop.

7. Chad says:

I’m surprised that no Sunrise anime made the Top 20.

Code Geass used to be in my top 10 quite some years ago, but it’s just not as much to my tastes anymore. The well-known Sunrise shows are primarily in genres I don’t watch these days.

• Chad says:

What genres are those?

A lot though not all of their most famous series seem to fall under mecha/scifi or kids’ shows. thinking back, I think the last show from Sunrise that I liked was Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon in 2011-2012, unless I’m forgetting something.

8. AholePony says:

I just rewatched Tamayura this weekend and I thought about your preference for shows with solid yuri-ships and I knew it wasn’t on your top list….. but after this rewatch I can’t imagine how it’s not there! Tamayura is like the real-world alternative to Aria infused with all of that Junichi Satou passion with the beautiful soundtrack and lovable characters voiced by a great cast of seiyuu. Anyway Something, I’m just curious what your take on the series was, what did or did not work for you in it (if you did watch it). And if you DID watch it long ago and your preferences have changed…. I would like to recommend a re-visit! That show has this amazing power where I guess a bunch of dust gets stirred up by my TV when it’s playing because all of a sudden my eyes water A LOT xD.

I love Tamayura, and have it all imported. It’s just a little below the other shows here.

I do still need to watch those four OVA/movies though.

• AholePony says:

OMG yes you do that’s where all the payoff is lol. Sad to see K-On fall of your list but welcome the addition of Flying Witch ;-)